UNICAL MALABRESSES IT’S TIME TO BREAK THE BIAS!!
Tatiana Penny reminded us that “Things aren’t going to be absolutely perfect every single time but you need to learn how to let go and delegate so you can focus on things that will be more impactful for your business.”
Bias is a strong feeling in favor of/against one group of people/one side in an argument, often not based on fair judgement.
According to the Sustainable Development Goals(SDG16) Number 5 and 10 emphasis on Gender Equality and Reducing Inequalities.
Dearest Ever Conscious, Unintimidated, Greatest of all Nigerian Students,Capable UNICAL Malabites and Malabresses! The SUG UNICAL Vice President Comrade OBASI CHINAZA JUILET says “Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotype and discrimination. A world that’s diverse, equitable and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated also as at Last year December 2021, The United Nations(UN) women announced the theme for the International Women Day 2022 as “Gender Equality today for Sustainable Tommorrow”.
Whether deliberately or unconsiously bias makes it difficult for women to move ahead and knowing thatbias exist isn’t enough or even taking pictures crossing your hands won’t do but ACTION!!! speaketh louder than words and is needed to level the playing field. Today marks the International Women Day which aims to focus global attention on the state of women when it comes to gender equality. Using this medium to celebrate the achievements of women including YOU and I also the upcoming ones who brings creativity and critical services to all levels of the society from homes to offices to labs and boardrooms and also giving brief historical introduction and ways to celebrate this wonderful day.
The International Women Day started in 1919 where an International Conference of Working Women were held in Copenhagen and a woman named Clara Zetka tabled the idea of International Women Day.As at last year(2021), the tag was #ChoosetoChallenge.* Being a woman means navigating intersectionality, fighting the underlying patriarchy of our world while choosing the battles you want to fight and playing as a valuable part to the societies at large, also holding the key to presence the human race race beyond any suspicion. A real woman is one who struggles to feed herself through covering all the needs in the household and who doesn’t depend on anybody except herself which brings respect also she’s aware of who she is. An amazing woman is a lady who brightens up every space she enters with a genuine smile, effortless charm and natural poise.
The International Women Day is a global celebration that highlight the achievements of women championing economic, cultural, political and several social courses/causes worldwide.This first started in 1908 after 15,000 women marched in New York City demanding for disinformation about feminism, proper heights/opportunities except from kitchen/household care and the other room, better pay and shorter work hours.
As at 2020, the theme of the International Women Day was tagged #EachforEqual which seeks to debunk the concept that equality is only find as a “Women issue” but discusses that this is a business issue that extends to how we can have a healthy environment and community.
10 WAYS TO CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL WOMEN DAY
- #BreaktheBias and show your support on social
- Involve men and people who identify beyond the gender binary in the conversation and celebration.
- Advocate for gender equality in your workplace.
- Host/attend an online panel
- Set up a (virtual) coffee date with a woman in your network
- Start a book club with your colleagues/friends.
- Support women and their businesses
- Host a film screening
- Donate to Charity
- Acknowledge the awesome women in our lives.
10 CORE VALUES TO INCULCATE/POSSESS FROM INTERNATIONAL WOMEN DAY
- Holding an evolutionary perspective
- Trusting in life
- Taking responsibility for evolution
- Realizing unity with other women
- Being emotional rational
- Standing autonomously
- Relinquishing sexual power
- Leading by example
- Being trustworthy and understandable
- Rejecting victimhood and becoming courageous
THE INTERNATIONAL WOMEN DAY ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF ACHIEVEMENTS FROM 10 IMPACTFUL, INFLUENTIAL/INTERNATIONAL AND INCOMEFUL GREAT HEROINES BOTH ALIVE & LATE
- Our Heavenly Mother(Blessed Virgin Mary, The Mother of Jesus Christ the Savior of the World)
- Our Different Earthly Mothers
- Our humble and Noble School Mother(UNICAL Vice Chancellor, Prof. Florence Banku Obi)
- The Historical Freedom Fighter(Late Moremi the Courageous Queen, Late Queen Amina, Late Mary Slessor, Late Bassey Enene & lots more)
- Our Motivational Mentor/Speaker (Evang. Joyce Meyer)
- The Ultimate Media Mogul/Talkshow host & Philanthropist with network of $220Billion(Mrs Oprah Winfrey)
7.1st Female Engineer in Nigeria and A Mother to the Producer of the most thrilled/popular cinematic Nigeria movie titled King of Boys(Engr. Mayen Adetiba)
- A Independent-minded/Forward Thinker & First lady of USA married to Franklin Roosevelt and was the ‘eyes/ears’ when he couldn’t travel freely due to his disability (Her Excellency, Eleanor Roosevelt)
- Queen of Pop(Madonna)
- Polish Scientist who discovered some couples of elements also known as Mother of Modern Physics & Mathematics(Sct. Marie Curie)
Lastly won’t forget to appreciate Our Award Winning Writer(Poetess Chimamanda Adiche) and the First Lady of Nigeria(Her Excellency, Aisha Mohammed).
Pamela Martisom rightly quoted that “See people in your industry/workplace, classroom and environment as collegueues not competitors because you’re all in the same boat but you just don’t know that all process bears progress to success.”
COMR. OBASI CHINAZA JULIET
VICE PRESIDENT, SUG, 2020/2021 TYRON BASSEY LED EXCO
MADUEKWE CYNTHIA CHINENYE
Chief Press Secretary, to the SUG Vice President UCC